Please use this Application for Employment when applying for all MSD jobs and email it, along with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Under the general supervision and direction of the SWPP Grading Supervisor Performs combination commercial residential building, grading and storm water inspections, check plans on new and existing structures and grading to ensure compliance with all applicable codes, ordinances, and relevant laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects industrial, commercial, residential, and detached buildings during construction and/or remodeling to ensure compliance with State-adopted International Codes and County ordinances.
- Utilize a strong geotechnical background to evaluate soils reports to effectively communicate with property owners and contractors for compliance to their soils report.
- Utilize ATC-20 for structural evaluations for on call disaster assistance for UFD and UPD. Provide courteous effective communication with property owners with life safety of damaged structures.
- Inspects existing building for change of use and/or occupancy to ensure compliance with the adopted State Codes and County ordinances.
- Documents inspection results to verify inspection progress and completion. Maintains records of inspections and inspection results and keeps a daily work record, using standard inspection forms and/or computer.
- Prepares, issues, and tracks necessary violation orders and notices needed to ensure compliance with adopted State Codes and County Ordinances.
- Performs on-site drainage, erosion, grading, and sediment control inspections on common residential and commercial land development projects, capital improvement projects, and other related construction activities in accordance with Salt Lake County MS4 Permit requirements.
- Attends pre-construction meetings, on-site progress meetings, and project acceptance meetings to communicate requirements with developers and contractors through all phases of work.
- Conducts construction site inspections for compliance with Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (UPDES) provisions; creates and maintains reports and records of inspections.
- Performs business license inspections including interpretations of existing non-complying conditions and situations; makes decisions as to required actions and corrections and issues notices on violations.
- Inspects and investigates complaints of existing structures/construction to determine if hazardous or illegal conditions exist.
- Assists the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office in representing and protecting the legal position of the division and the County regarding building violations; testifies in court as required.
MARGINIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Hire, train, supervise.
NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS
TRAINING & QUALIFICATIONS:
Three (3) years of experience reading and interpreting blueprints; OR an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Possession of a Combination Residential and Commercial State ICC Building Certification.
Maintain a Registered Storm Water Inspector (RSI) certification.
A valid Driver’s License issued by the State of Utah may be required to operate a vehicle.
- Operate a personal computer
- Perform effectively in highly stressful situations
- Interpret and apply codes judiciously and consistently
- Perform a plan Review for Code Compliance
- Resolve conflicts and solve problems
- Enforce all Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, Energy codes, and County ordinances allowed by licensure under State Law
- Enforce all codes pertaining to building and storm water safety that have been adopted by the State of Utah and Salt Lake County
- Maintain records and reports