Please use this Application for Employment when applying for all MSD jobs and email it, along with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Performs observation patrols for zoning violations within the Kearns Townships, Magna Township, Emigration Township, the Mountainous Planning District. Kennecott mining, West Bench, the Southwest and unincorporated islands of Salt Lake County to initiate and ensures actions are taken to achieve compliance.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate degree preferred and (4) years of experience in code enforcement, zoning enforcement, building inspection, environmental health inspection, vehicle abatement, animal control, and Municipal Services ordinances in zoning and planning. An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
- Utah Ordinance Compliance Association (UOCA) or Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) Certification.
- A valid Driver’s License issued by the State of Utah is required.
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position.
Applicants must be prepared to demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Inspection and enforcement for encroachment violations and other non-conforming problems.
- Inspect for compliance following notice and prior to legal action by applying knowledge of ordinance requirements and field inspection practices.
- Notify property owners and/or occupants of property of ordinance violations in writing, noting ordinance violations and possible alternatives for correction using communicative skills, experience, professional judgement and effective public relations
- Identify and initiate any special inspection requirements and assure that conformance with these requirements is obtained and all follow-ups and holds are observed.
- Determine the appropriate course of action needed to resolve violations and achieve compliance with the various ordinances and codes. This includes working with state agencies and other divisions or county agencies using knowledge of zoning ordinances, building codes, fire codes and inspection process and procedures, as well as personal experience.
- Assists Attorney’s office in legal compliant preparation and prosecution of cases involving violations of MSD ordinances and/or commission requirements for which the department is responsible. Testifies in court if required.
- Officiates court ordered clean-up, directing the work of involved agencies and departments and ensuring the entire property is cleaned-up in accordance with the court order.
- Assists in training of new section personnel and field procedures.
- Answers all incoming complaints by phone and handles all complaints submitted by email.
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Municipal Services and County code and zoning ordinances, vehicle abatement, animal control, building codes, fire codes, and inspection processes and procedures.
- Officiating court-ordered clean-up by directing the work of involved agencies and departments.
- Legal complaint preparation in cases involving the Municipal Services District.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, managers, employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Support and assist other staff and/or departmental personnel in their enforcement tasks as required by advising, interpreting and verifying ordinance information.
- Answer questions and provides information and direction regarding land use requirements and ordinance application.
- Research and gather information for active compliance cases in preparation for court hearings.
- Read, write, understand, and interpret code and zone enforcement ordinances.
- Use of standard office tools, computers, copy machines, and software.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work in a wide variation of conditions, from a typical office setting to field work. Exposure to hazards associated with construction sites.
Work in all weather conditions and be able to walk/hike up hills that may or may not have established trails.
Work with and professionally handle intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Required to feel attributes of objects, sit for long periods of time, talk, hear, grasp, push, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, and use repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement.
Must be able to lift at least 20 lbs.
Specific vision abilities include: clarity of vision at 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less; three-dimensional vision or the ability to judge distance and space relationships; ability to identify and distinguish colors, adjust the eye to bring an object into focus and to see up and down or to the right or left while fixed on a point.