Develops, manages, implements, and monitors the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District’s strategic communication efforts with respect to public relations, government relations, and marketing. Collaborates with the community, private sector business community and various governmental agencies.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Relations, Marketing, Communication, or a closely related field, plus four (4) years of related experience; OR an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position.
Applicants must be prepared to demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Conceptualizes and implements comprehensive communication, marketing, and outreach plans and programs. Monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement. Develops, maintains, and trains on an organizational communication policy, subject to approval by the General Manager.
- Serves as a member of the leadership team. Monitors news, social media and other outlets regarding information pertaining to the organization; advises staff on sensitive political issues and effective communication techniques. Facilitates short- and long-term communication plans and helps ensure successful implementation.
- Serves as the designated contact for media inquiries relating to emergency operations, special events, or programs. Provides talking points, direct responses, press releases, and special reports. Conveys complex issues in succinct and easy-to-read content.
- Assists in preparing Mayors and other leaders in how to communicate with the media.
- Develops and maintains positive and professional relationships with members of the media and other stakeholders; collaborates with elected officials, the community, private sector business community and various governmental agencies to achieve cooperation and leadership for projects that advance goals and objectives of the District.
- Assists as needed with special events such as dedications, groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings and other special events.
- Trains staff on effective public relations and media strategies. Advises staff on how to effectively build rapport with communities and the media.
- Coordinates the implementation of marketing and promotional efforts. Directs the editorial content, format and dissemination of a variety of internal and external publications.
- Develops and implements District branding, subject to the approval of the general Manager, and communicates the consistent use of proper branding to staff.
- Manages and oversees the creation and updates of websites and social media efforts, serves as administrator for the District’s webpage and social media accounts. Ensures consistency and continuity of all organizational content. Explains technology used to promote programs and facilities to staff.
- Prepares strategic reports or presentations designed to educate and inform stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Methods, techniques and styles of business and article writing, organization, spelling, grammar, editing, punctuation and word usage.
- Communication and public relations concepts, practices, principles, and strategies.
- Methods and techniques used for formatting, design, layout for print and electronic text and graphic design.
- Working knowledge of the Internet and WordPress and the ability to oversee website design and development (need not be a Web programmer).
- Proficiency in administering social medial accounts.
- Good basic photography skills and an eye for good photography.
- Principles and practices of organization administration budgeting and public information.
- A variety of word processing and desktop publishing equipment and software programs, traditional and social media platforms.
- Principles, techniques, procedures and methods used in the composition and production of a variety of print and internet communications.
- Information dissemination techniques and methods.
- Project Management.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing with the news media, employees, government officials and the general public. Spanish language proficiency is a plus but not required.
- Gather, analyze, and interpret data for a non-specialized audience.
- Research and write a variety of business communications documents.
- Develop and prepare clear, concise reports in a variety of formats. Coordinate and conduct meetings.
- Coordinate community relations activities.
- Work with other agencies on shared projects.
- Manage various projects simultaneously.
- Work effectively in a dynamic environment, both independently and with a team.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires work in a wide variation of conditions, from a typical office setting to field work.
- This position will require attendance at some evening meetings and events.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, move, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.