Please use this Application for Employment when applying for all MSD jobs.
Send all applications, cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include job title in subject line.
Responsibilities include serving as a working project manager for projects relating to Geographic Information System technology, and data programs and/or working as a high-level GIS and data specialist for programming/application development, spatial/tabular data processing, cartographic production/digital mapping, and data management. The position provides technical consultation, services and training to a wide range of technical and non-technical employees using GIS to compile reports and studies.
Positions in the Senior GIS Analyst classification are distinguished from the GIS Analyst classification by the specialized technical GIS skills necessary to perform the most complex functions involving analysis, database design and management, application development, as well as project management responsibilities for planning projects with a strong data or GIS component.
- Performs complex data analysis using GIS software and related extensions/add-ons, relational databases, and other computer software; understands and can apply the capabilities of GIS, databases, and other computer programs to solve complex spatial and relational problems; performs a variety of advanced GIS analytical and geoprocessing functions.
- Reviews data requirements; develops and maintains appropriate datasets for purpose of analysis; maintains quality control on large scale datasets.
- Develops and implement highly customized scripts to automate standard tasks, toolsets and workflows using ESRI Python infrastructure.
- Designs and implements custom applications both for the desktop and the internet; creates and expends use of web mapping applications using predefined tools and templates in GIS software.
- Maintains departmental Open Date site using HTML coding routines; develops and maintains new content and coordinates with other departments to develop relevant common applications.
- Provides GIS assistance, consultation and training appointed committees, agency staff, other agencies, and the public; communicates complex technical issues both verbally and in writing to non-technical GIS users.
- Works in a team setting with other staff members to identify effective ways to complete various planning projects and outreach efforts; provides guidance and recommendations regarding available GIS capabilities and resources.
- Assists the manager or supervisor in the coordination of GIS application development projects including analysis of requirements, scheduling of work, and reviewing the work of others.
- Coordinates with inter-agency technical groups regarding cross-jurisdictional GIS data acquisition and management programs; facilitates and participates in local and regional professional GIS user-group meetings and forums to further develop data-resources and technical standards.
- Provides recommendations for project personnel, hardware, software, data, budget, and scheduling.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in cartography, planning, civil engineering, geography, GIS or related field.
- At least eight (8) years of experience with GIS software and a working knowledge of ESRI’s desktop and ESRI web solutions products. Working knowledge of industry-standard relational database products such as Oracle, SQL Server, and/or MS Access.
- One year of project management experience with budget responsibilities must be included in the three years of experience.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Professional (Excel, and Access), Microsoft Windows, Internet, and computer networks.
A combination of experience and training that provides the applicant with the knowledge and skills to perform the work will be considered.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Advanced GIS concepts, geoprocessing functions and techniques, spatial and relational data analysis, data management, analytical modeling, and statistics.
- Application design, web authoring, and GIS scripting.
- Project management and budgeting principles and practices.
- Operating, installing and maintaining GIS software.
- Microsoft Office software for document, spreadsheet, database, and presentation preparation.
Technical skills in:
- Advanced database management and custom application development.
- ArcGIS Desktop, Python, Model Builder, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, other online mapping solutions or current equivalent.
- Spatial/tabular data collection, organization, management, and processing.
- Cartographic production/digital mapping.
- Combine knowledge of GIS database and software with common sense and insight in solving problems by providing holistic solutions.
- Manage and lead projects and motivate others; work both as a member of a team and as a project leader; good oral communication skills while interacting with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Perform and participate in project planning including scoping, scheduling, and budgeting; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, vendors, consultants, and the public.
- Write in clear concise language to produce Standard Operating Procedures, training instructions, reports and other required documentation.
- Learn new skills related to information technology, planning, or other agency priorities as needed.
- Work independently under pressure and with minimal supervision to solve problems and meet deadlines.
- Work is performed in an office environment at a computer workstation.