The Brighton Town Municipal Clerk plans and directs the maintenance, filing, safekeeping, and computerization of all municipal documents. This individual will draft agendas and bylaws for the town council, record minutes of council meetings, answer official correspondence, keep fiscal records and accounts, issue public notifications of all official activities and meetings, and prepare reports on civic needs. They will also proofread documents, records, and other files to ensure accuracy, schedule appointments, and coordinate and manage operational activities.
- Associates Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, finance or another closely related field
- At least three years of experience in office management required; certified in a municipal record keeping program preferred.
- Ability to be bonded.
- Have a current and valid Utah State Commission as a Notary Public or obtain one within sixty (60) days of hire.
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of specific duties and responsibilities will not preclude it from the position.
Applicants must be prepared to demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Serves as Chief Election Officer for the Town, maintains accurate voter registration lists, absentee ballots, secures accuracy of election systems and equipment and campaign finance law administration.
- Administers the Annual Town Census.
- Attends all regular and special Town meetings, records all votes and actions taken, records minutes of all meetings, and records and certifies all appropriations. Handles public notice filings, records and files applications, maps, and status of decisions, appeals and records.
- Issues a variety of Town licenses, permits and certificates; collects fees and assessments as necessary.
- Serves as keeper of the Official Seal of the Town; administers oaths to elected and appointed officials and employees, complies with law requirements of open meeting laws, conflict of interest, and freedom of information requests.
- Serve as the person who responds to GRAMA requests. The Town Council may establish reasonable charges for providing copies of its public records. Keep a permanent record of closed meetings which may only be disclosed by court order, not an ordinary GRAMA request.
- Ensures that full and complete records of the financial and administrative activities of the Town are kept and made available to the Town Council and made available to the public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to gain a working knowledge of local government functions such as state codes, open meeting law, public record law and state ethics law.
- Knowledge of local and state legislative processes.
- Working knowledge of office procedures and practices.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with elected officials, managers, employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain complex record keeping systems.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be detail oriented, and show independent initiative.
- Must have excellent communications ability: verbally and in writing.
- Must have proficient technology skills including computers and computer software, social media experience, printers, telephone systems, and media recording devices.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires work in a wide variation of conditions, from a typical office setting to field work. Must be able to attend evening meetings and some weekend events.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, move, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Salary commensurate with demonstrated experience and skills.
Salary range begins at $18.54 per hour
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Applicants must provide: 1) a current resume, 2) names and contact information for three references, and 3) a written letter of application that describes the applicant’s experience and competence.
To apply, send your application, cover letter and resume (or any questions) to: MSDJOBS@MSD.UTAH.GOV