Please use this Application for Employment when applying for all MSD jobs.
Send all applications, cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include job title in subject line.
Reporting to the General Manager, this individual ensures the financial health of the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District by demonstrating fiscal leadership, effectively communicating relevant, accurate financial information, and providing exceptional customer service. Must balance the responsibility of being a strategic partner to all seven member entities of the District (six municipalities and Salt Lake County on behalf of the County’s unincorporated area) with maintaining financial health and fiscal control. Performs/participates high level policy development and implementation. Works in a close confidential relationship with the Elected Officials.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, or other closely related field, plus six (6) years of experience in a field closely related to these duties; OR an equivalent combination of related education and experience. CPA is preferred.
Additional minimum qualifications may be dependent upon licensure or certification related to specific job duties and responsibilities.
* Advises General Manager, Metro Township Mayors, and Town Mayor on policy and financial matters relating to the operation of the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District and the independent municipalities. Prepares, defends and maintains a structurally balanced budget with adequate reserves for all funds.
* Monitors Revenues and expenditures to ensure sound fiscal control. Establishes and maintains internal control procedures.
* Prepares and presents proposed budget including advice on resource allocation.
* Provides professional advice to the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District, the Metro Townships and the Town. Makes presentations to councils and boards.
* Prepares the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District and its member municipalities. Ensures compliance with GAAP, GASB, continuing disclosure, IRS and SEC regulations as well as the State of Utah Fiscal Procedures Act. Manages the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services debt including General Obligations, lease revenue bonds, sales tax bonds, tax and revenue anticipation notes and other legal debt obligations of the District.
* Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes. Is involved in contract negotiations with service provides.
* Oversees the financial system for the Metro Townships, the Town and the Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District.
* Supervises payroll, billing and accounting functions.
*Responsible for overseeing internal controls.
*Responsible for implementing and maintaining the accounting system(s).
*Responsible for tracking and accounting for capital assets and capital projects for multiple jurisdictions.
*Responsible for filing appropriate tax, transparency and other governmental reporting agencies.
* Acts in the absence of and has signing authority for the General Manager.
* Oversees special financial projects.
*Write the annual CAFR (Consolidated Annual Financial Report).
*Facilitate the annual audit for the (7) independent jurisdictions.
*Oversee an approximately $42 million dollar budget.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA)
* Statistical theory and application
* Cost accounting principles, methods, and techniques
* Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), with emphasis in the areas of governmental accounting and financial reporting
* Effective budgeting principles, methods, and techniques
* Accounting principles relating to all Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements
* Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standard for budget reporting and disclosure
* Governmental financial systems and practices
* Management of accounting department functions
* Effective communication methods and public relations
* Coordination of independent audit activities from the client side
* Utah Code Annotated and related State and Federal rules and policies
* Greater Salt Lake Municipal Services District policies, ordinances, and procedures
* Effective leadership, management, and supervision principles and practices
Skills and Abilities:
* Provide technical and policy leadership and direction
* Perform effective project management
* Prepare financial reports and documentation
* Provide quality customer service
* Use computer software related to job-specific duties
* Perform financial analysis and interpretation
* Effectively use financial database programs
* Perform economic forecasting
* Remain current on technology changes
* Analyze and make recommendations for changes in procedures and financing processes
* Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively both verbally and in writing
* Interact effectively with individuals at various levels and maintain positive working relationships with County agencies
* Effectively plan, organize, and perform tasks even under stressful situations
* Act independently and use sound judgment
* Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations essential
* Strong problem-solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled