How to Submit a Business License Application
1. Verify your business name has been registered with the Utah Department of Commerce. 801 530-4849.
- You will need to get your Utah Department of Commerce Entity ID number, business name and business address listed.
2. Obtain a Sales Tax Number from the Utah Sales Tax Commission. 801-297-2200
- Every seller with an established presence in Utah must have a Utah Sales Tax Submit Form TC-69, a Utah State Business and Tax Registration. Register online at osbr.utah.gov to apply for a license. Sales tax licenses are not transferable.
- Businesses that typically must register for a sales tax license include:
- Retailers selling tangible goods, products transferred electronically or services
- Wholesalers purchasing resale inventory
- Leasing companies
- Consumers such as professional firms and construction contractor
3. Obtain a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN). IRS - Federal Taxes (801) 799-6963
- If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies. Please note that this information is also outlined on the Utah State website.
- You will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Act Tax) payments for your employees.
4. Fill out a Property Owners / Registered Agent Form.
- This form is required for commercial and home-operated businesses. This form is located inside the business license packet.
- This form must be completed by either the owner of the property, a registered agent, an authorized manager group or an authorized individual.
- This form must be signed in the presence of a notary by the authorized owner of the property, a registered agent, an authorized manager group or an authorized individual.
- This form will NOT be accepted if it is signed by the owner of the property, a registered agent, an authorized group or an authorized individual prior to the date of the document notarized.
Online Application Process
MSD Planning and Development Services has an online portal for Business Licenses and Inspections called Cityworks. To use this system, you must create an account - it's quick and easy. You can apply for a business license, print the license, schedule inspections and view inspection results and comments.