2023 General Election Information
Salt Lake County Election website - Candidates for Office 2023
The Governor, Senate, and House announced that there will be changes to the municipal elections dates to accommodate the special election to fill the vacancy in the 2nd Congressional District.
You can read the news release here.
The proclamation from the Governor states:
- The Municipal Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, September 5.
- The Municipal General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 21.
These changes apply to all municipal elections, not only those municipalities in the 2nd Congressional District.
June 1 to 7, 2023 - Filing Deadline for qualified municipal and metro township candidates - (Declaration of Candidacy)
Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - Primary Election, if needed
August 8 to 15, 2023 - Ranked choice voting filing deadline for candidates
September 4, 2023 - Last day to qualify as a write-in candidate
Tuesday, November 21, 2023 - General Election
Qualifications to Run for Office
- Be a United States citizen at the time of filing
- Be a registered voter of the municipality
- Be a resident in the town, township or city for 12 consecutive months prior to the election.
- Not be a convicted felon unless the right to hold elective office has been restored.
Town of Brighton - Two Council At-Large seats
Copperton Metro Township - One Council At-Large A-seat and one Council At-Large B-seat and Council At-Large C-seat
Emigration Canyon Metro Township - Three Council At-Large seats
Kearns Metro Township* - One Council Eeat each in Districts 1, 3, 5
Magna Metro Township* - One Council Seat each in Districts 1, 3, 5
White City Metro Township - Three Council At-Large seats
* Magna and Kearns Metro Townships opted into Rank Choice Voting, so there will not be a Primary Election in these two communities.