Earlier this year, Copperton received a grant from Wasatch Front Regional Council to complete an Active Transportation Plan and Connectivity Ordinance for their community. The project was awarded to Township + Range, a local consultant. The objectives of this project are to:
- Engage residents in discussions, demonstrations, and consensus-building related to active transportation and regional transportation connections; help residents recognize their existing transportation assets.
- Establish a deep understanding of the existing transportation network, major destinations, streetscapes, and grid pattern, as well as development pressures and other scenarios that could influence future conditions.
- Prepare a Connectivity Ordinance (in the subdivision ordinance) to be adopted by Copperton for the purposes of preserving the existing grid street network and ensuring future development follows a similar pattern.
- Identify walking and biking routes, crossing improvements, wayfinding opportunities, and other interventions for the purposes of:
- Connecting Copperton residents with nearby public transit services and employment centers.
- Expanding access to recreational amenities.
- Enhancing the community image and identity.
- Improving resident safety and comfort while walking, biking, and using other modes of active transportation.
- Encouraging more walking, biking, and active transportation usage in the Copperton community.
- Develop an active transportation plan that provides enough detail for staff to use it in prioritizing and applying for grants and organizing implementation efforts.
All of these objectives are based on the 2020 Copperton General Plan and will aid the community in implementation of the General Plan vision.
In October of 2022, the project team kicked-off the project by beginning work on the Connectivity Ordinance. The team expects to have this Ordinance completed in time to include with Copperton’s comprehensive updates to Title 18 & 19 (anticipated completion date of winter 2023). Once the Connectivity Ordinance is completed, the project team will work with the Copperton Council to establish a steering committee for the Active Transportation Plan. Residents will have several opportunities to engage in the planning process in the upcoming year. We look forward to working with Copperton to enhance transportation safety and create additional opportunities for walking, biking, and recreation!