How can I find my property’s zoning?

You can find zoning on the Municipal Service District’s interactive map. Just enter your address and you’ll be given more information on your parcel. Note that this will only return information for Unincorporated Salt Lake County, and the Metro Townships within the county. For information within other cities you’ll need to contact that municipality for zoning information.

What uses are allowed on my property?

Once you know what zone your property is classified as, you can check your county or township’s ordinance to find out what is allowed. Each of those ordinances are linked here. Zoning will be title 19 in each code and you can look up your zone’s uses in its specific chapter.

How can I find my required setbacks? (How do I find requirements for my zone?)

Those will be listed in Title 19 of each of the County and Township Ordinances under each specific zone.  There are many factors that can impact your setback however, so you may want to call our office with your parcel number/address and zone information so we can further assist you. 

How are setbacks measured?

In most cases, setbacks are measured from the property line to the edge of the building or support beam for a carport or patio. Setbacks on a private road will be calculated differently and you should contact our office in that instance.

Where can I find the location of my property lines or lot dimensions?

Any records regarding your recorded plats would be on file with the Salt Lake County Recorder. If the lot has been surveyed since recording you can contact the Salt Lake County Surveyor’s Office for any of those records.

Can I subdivide my property?

Typically if you meet the minimum area and dimensional requirements of your zone you’re at least in a position to be able to. However, there are a number of other requirements that need to be met before you can subdivide. You should review Title 18 and 19 of your municipality’s code to ensure you can meet all of those requirements. If you still have questions please contact the Municipal Service District and we can assist you further.

Is my property buildable?

If your lot is in a recorded subdivision then you at least have a building right on the property though there may be other concerns that could prevent it from being built on. If your lot is not in a subdivision then you’ll need to predate the subdivision requirements and will need to provide documentation of that. Please contact us with questions specific to your lot or for information on what documents you’ll need to provide to show you predating the subdivision ordinance.

Can I build a second unit or accessory unit on my lot?

Accessory units are not currently an allowed use in any zones within the townships and unincorporated county. Second units are only allowed as part of a duplex or dwelling group in R-2 zones and A zones so long as density numbers are met.

Can I build a tiny home or use one as an additional dwelling on my lot?

What would typically be considered a “tiny home” would not currently be permitted by code. The minimum required dimension of any dwelling is 20’ x 20’ and must be on a permanent foundation. Accessory dwellings are also not allowed.

Can I rebuild or replace my non-complying building?

With permission from the land use hearing officer you may be able to replace, relocate or expand the existing building. Contact planning for more information.

Where can I build a shed on my property?

Accessory buildings need to be entirely in the rear yard and 6’ away from the home. Accessory buildings do have a minimum setback of 1’ from the rear and side yards and a 14’ height restriction. For each additional foot you move away from the property lines the height restriction may be increased by 1’ up to a maximum of 20’ in height.

Can I build/add a carport on the side of my home?

Yes you can, but you will still need to meet minimum setback requirements. These vary by zone and jurisdiction. Please contact us to ensure you have the correct setbacks before submitting for a building permit.

How is building in the Canyons (FCOZ) different from building in the valley?

Due to the geographical and geological constraints in the Canyon areas (FCOZ), each individual parcel in the area is unique. This being the case all development requests are looked at as singular projects. Prior to purchasing and/or attempting to build on these properties you should contact our office for information on your specific property.

Where can I go to get copies of government records?

If you would like copies of your property deeds, any subdivision plats with dimensions, or previous documents related to your property you’ll want to contact the Salt Lake County Recorder.

How do I file an application?

Prior to submitting your full application, we would like to meet with you to ensure you’re following the correct process and provide everything you need for a successful approval. Please see this form [Link pre-planner meeting app] and contact us to set up an appointment.

I’d like to meet with a planner to find out more about my parcel(s)

If you have preliminary questions and aren’t sure yet what you’d like to do with your property, please fill out this contact form below or call us before coming in so that we can set up a time to meet with you.

We are happy to meet with people on a walk-in basis, but scheduling a meeting ensures we are available when you come in.

Contact Info: (385) 468-6700
Address: 2001 S State St, #N3-600, Salt Lake City, UT 84190

Fill out an online Web Contact Form to set up an appointment to discuss your questions.