Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

A Home Business is “any business activity, other than those listed below, which is conducted entirely within a dwelling or attached garage and is clearly incidental, secondary and in addition to the use of the structure for dwelling purposes.”

The following uses are not allowed as a Home Business:

  • Motor vehicle, trailer, or boat repair.  
  • Junkyards
  • Towing operations
  • Welding, iron works, foundries
  • Vehicle sales or rentals
  • Auto body and/or fender work
  • Short-term Rentals
  • Mortuaries or crematoriums
  • Major appliance repair (washers, dryers, refrigerators.
  • Any use involving the storage or sale of flammable, explosive, or hazardous materials.
  • Lawnmower or small engine repair
  • Home Daycare (a different application is required)
  • Home Preschool (a different application is required)
  • Any use involving the raising, breeding, training, housing, keeping of animals.

The following activities are exempted from regulation under this chapter:

  • Garage or yard sales provided the sale is held for not more than three consecutive days, and no more than two times per year at the same location, and no consignment goods are offered for sale.
  • Temporary social gathering sales that do not exceed one day, such as candle parties, book parties, etc. not to exceed four occurrences per year.

Per Utah Code 17-53-216(4)(b) the legislative body of a county may charge a license fee for a home-based business unless the combined off-site impact of the home-based business and the primary residential use materially exceeds the off-site impact of the primary residential use alone. (Utah Code 17-53-216 (4)(b)

If you are seeking exemption from business license fees under Utah Code 17-53-216(4)(b) please notify our office in writing and explain how your business meets the exemption requirements.  Utah Code 10-1-203(7)(b)

  • Manufacturers
  • Leasing Companies
  • Consumers such as professional firms and construction contractors.

Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN)

IRS – Federal Taxes (801) 799-6963

–  If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies. Please note that this information is also outlined at the State website given above.

–  You will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to remit the Federal Tax Withholding and make FUTA (Federal Unemployment Act Tax) payments for your employees.

Property Owners / Registered Agent Form

This form is required for commercial and home-operated businesses. This form is located inside the business license packet.

–  This form must be completed by either the owner of the property, registered agent, an authorized manager group or authorized individual.

–  This form must be signed in the presence of a notary by the authorized owner of the property, registered agent, an authorized manager group or authorized individual.

–  This form will NOT be accepted if it is signed by the owner of the property, registered agent, an authorized group or authorized individual prior to the date of the document notarized.


Call Now Button