Please apply using our Employment page.
Under general supervision of the Operations Officer, directs the operations of the Code Enforcement Unit, provides technical assistance to code enforcement staff and participates in inspections and investigations.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATION
Associate degree preferred and (4) years of experience in code enforcement, zoning enforcement, building inspection, environmental health inspection, vehicle abatement, animal control, and Municipal Services ordinances in zoning and planning. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Utah Ordinance Compliance Association (UOCA) or American Association of Code Enforcement (AACE1) Certification.
Must possess a driver’s license.
- Inspects and enforcement for encroachment violations and other non-conforming problems.
- Inspects for compliance following notice and prior to legal action by applying knowledge of ordinance requirements and field inspection practices.
- Notifies property owners and/or occupants of property of ordinance violations in writing, noting ordinance violations and possible alternatives for correction using communicative skills, experience, professional judgement, and effective public relations.
- Identifies and initiates any special inspection requirements and assure that conformance with these requirements is obtained and all follow-ups and holds are observed.
- Determines the appropriate course of action needed to resolve violations and achieve compliance with the various ordinances and codes, including working with state agencies and other divisions or county agencies using knowledge of zoning ordinances, building codes, fire codes and inspection process and procedures, as well as personal experience.
- Assists Attorney’s office in legal compliant preparation and prosecution of cases involving violations of MSD ordinances and/or commission requirements for which the department is responsible; testifies in court if required.
- Officiates court ordered clean-up, directing the work of involved agencies and departments, ensuring the entire property is cleaned-up in accordance with the court order.
- Assists in training of new section personnel and field procedures.
- Answers all incoming complaints by phone and handles all complaints submitted by email.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Municipal Services District and County code and zoning ordinances, vehicle abatement, animal control, building codes, fire codes, and inspection processes and procedures
- Officiating court-ordered clean-up by directing the work of involved agencies and departments
- Legal complaint preparation in cases involving the Municipal Services District
Skills and Abilities to:
- Interact with customers to communicate and respond to their utility service concerns
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, managers, employees, other agencies, and the public
- Support and assist other staff and/or departmental personnel in their enforcement tasks as required by advising, interpreting, and verifying ordinance information
- Answer questions and provides information and direction regarding land use requirements and ordinance application
- Research and gather information for active compliance cases in preparation for court hearings.
- Read, write, understand, and interpret code and zone enforcement ordinances
- Computer literate with standard office tools, such as Microsoft Office Suite and software related to job specific duties
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires work in a wide variation of conditions, from a typical office setting to field work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, move, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Salary Grade 130 – minimum $41,591 to maximum $60,380